Tuesday 2 October 2012

Breakthrough, My Way!

01:15 pm

A productive, constructive morning today, must say! After the taking decision the hard way yesterday, I decided to plunge into the concept of Genetic Algorithm. My brain works this way: I first need to know the framework, i.e. the structure of the project, then I can dive into its details. So decided on trying to understand what is Genetic Algorithm, what are its inputs and outputs, how it can be applied in my case, how can I perform it using MATLAB. Get the material, study, try out, if successful, implement.

After surfing through a lot of online material, understood the necessary concepts of Genetic Algorithm. Then, applied it to my case. Until my external guide tells me anything, I'm thinking of taking the same database that is used in this paper. At this stage I'd like to specify the picture that my brain has created of my case scenario, before I forget it, else it'll have to waste time doing it again another day. 

The aim is to replicate the fetal-placental blood flow using three variables:
1)The Placental Resistance
2)The Brain Resistance
3)The Fetal Heart Rate

The database consists of 8 readings ranging from the normal stage to the stage when subject goes into compensatory, i.e. abnormal, detectable, phase. Each of this reading is a result of linear combinations of the three variables, multiplied to different coefficients. Bu using Genetic Algorithm, we have to find the value of these variables that represents the basic value of these three variables, which gets multiplied by coefficients, to create different readings.

The fact that should be considered is that, it is normal for these conditions to vary over time. Thus, the variables also change over time, and it is normal! The Genetic Algorithm doesn't know that! It'll think the value of variables has to remain constant the entire time, which is not true! So, we make a change in the perception of the variables. We make them constant so that the Genetic Algorithm can function properly. How do we do it? We find the normal values of the reading at those particular gestational ages, and divide our readings with the normal values. As a result, our readings now change to some absolute values, whose variables should remain constant over the time! 

After this I moved onto understanding if I have the necessary toolbox to execute the algorithm. Was pleasantly surprised to see, that there exists a software tool.. readily available in MATLAB R2010a in which I only need to select the operation that I need to perform from drop-down box, enter the the data that should be modeled .. And that's it!! I DO need to look through it still, but I'm so happy right now! Had a fruitful morning!! Yeay! Now for lunch!

ATB!

No comments:

Post a Comment